LOS ANGELES INSTITUTE
Program Dates: August 2-4, 2024
The CLYLP Los Angeles Institute (LAI) was established in 2006 to inspire and motivate students from Southern California to become future leaders through public service. Open to 50 students from Los Angeles County, the three-day institute offers an impactful program designed to develop students’ leadership potential and increase their knowledge of the region’s cultural and political landscape. Institute participants connect with education, business, political and community leaders and receive encouragement in their pursuit of post-secondary educational opportunities. Housing, meals and program materials are provided at no cost to the participants or their families.
- Civic Day: Students learn about the legislative process through active participation in mock hearings and interaction with city and county lawmakers and staff.
- College & Careers Day: Students participate in informational workshops about financial aid, university requirements, and options, and learn about the college admissions process.
Through their LAI experience, students gain valuable leadership training skills, meet and learn from many accomplished professionals, receive important college information, and create long-lasting friendships and peer/professional networks.
DATES & LOCATION
The 15th Annual Los Angeles Institute will take place August 2-4, 2024, and students will be housed at the University of California, Los Angeles. All institute activities take place in the City of Los Angeles.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- Currently, be enrolled in a California high school for the 2023- 2024 academic year and live in Los Angeles County.
- Currently be in either 10th (Sophomore) or 11th (Junior) grade. (Freshman and Seniors are ineligible to apply)
- Not have previously attended the Los Angeles Institute or the Statewide Leadership Conference as a participant.
- Must be able to attend the entire weekend; no exceptions or accommodations will be made.
LAI - PARENT INSTITUTE
In recognition of the importance of parents and families’ role in developing a student’s leadership potential, the LAI includes a one-day Parent Institute designed for the parents and families of LAI participants. The Parent Institute is held on the final day of the LAI. Parents and family members receive valuable information to take home and share with their student. Parents not only receive important information (presented in a bilingual format) on the college admissions process and financial aid resources, but also learn how to best support their college-bound students. Latino college graduates and current students, as well as parents of first-generation college graduates, will share important advice from their own experiences to underscore the importance of parental support. Additional information will be provided in the student acceptance package.
Interested in volunteering? Click here for CLYLP Staff Eligibility and Responsibility information and application.