STATEWIDE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
(FORMERLY SACRAMENTO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE)
Since its inception in 1982, the Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project (CLYLP) has offered a once in a lifetime opportunity for California’s youth in Sacramento. The Statewide Leadership Conference (SLC) brings 120 high school students from throughout the state to participate in a week-long, intensive leadership program. Conference participants attend powerful workshops and seminars that enhance leadership skills, academic preparedness, self-esteem, cultural awareness, and provide an understanding of state and local government. Programming at all CLYLP programs including the SLC is based on CLYLP’s four curriculum “C’s”: Community, Culture, College, and Careers.
Participants will leave with valuable information and tools that they can begin using when they return to school in the Fall. Most importantly, students will leave with new friendships from throughout the state of California. Housing, meals, program materials and transportation to and from the conference are provided at no cost to the participants or their families.
- Legislative Day at the State Capitol: Students learn about the legislative process through active participation in mock hearings and interaction with legislators and legislative staff.
- Campaign Development Workshops: Students learn skills and techniques needed to organize and run political campaigns. Students then use these skills at school for class and student body elections.
- College & Careers Day: Students attend a College Fair and meet with community college, CSU, UC, and private college recruiters. College representatives, admissions staff, and financial aid experts provide students with information on how to apply for and succeed in college. Students also get exposure to various professional careers.
DATES & LOCATION
The 41st Annual Statewide Leadership Conference will take place July 22-29, 2023, and students will be housed at the California State University, Sacramento. All activities take place in the City of Sacramento. Transportation to and from Sacramento is provided by CLYLP.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- Currently be enrolled in a California high school for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Currently be in either 10th (Sophomore) or 11th (Junior) grade. (Freshman and Seniors are ineligible to apply).
- Not have previously participated in the Statewide Leadership Conference.
- If you previously attended a CLYLP Institute as a Sophomore, you may apply to the Statewide Leadership Conference as a Junior.
- Must be able to attend the entire conference week; no exceptions will be made.
Interested in volunteering? Click here for CLYLP Staff Eligibility and Responsibility information and application.